Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My experience at the Dubai Duty Free Championships



Recently I had gone to Dubai to watch the Duty Free Tennis Championships. I had gone to see my role model and favorite player Roger Federer in action. It was quite an amazing experience for me. Being in a wheelchair I was able to get special seats which were by the court side and I was accompanied by my father. We were a stone’s throw away from the players and right in the action.

Watching Federer live in action for the first time.

Last year I along with my father had also gone to the Dubai tennis championships and were able to get similar seats. Federer could not come last year due to illness. This year he was playing which made me really excited and it would just be awesome watching him live in person for the first time. I arrived in Dubai with Roger in the semi finals. It is hard to describe the feeling I had when I was going to see Roger for the first time in my life.

It was a good match and Roger was great. I was disappointed that I could not meet Roger and have a photograph with him, as he left the court from the other entrance. I hoped to be more fortunate enough in the final. I did have the consolation of having a photograph with a Russian player who went on to win the doubles title.

The Dream final

The final which everyone was anticipating between the no. 2 player in the world Roger Federer and the no. 3 player in the world Novak Djokovic was about to take place. The atmosphere was absolutely electrifying and there was a buzz in the crowd. The final was a total sell out even before the tournament had even started. Unfortunately Federer committed a lot of unforced errors and Djokovic was all over him. Djokovic played his best match of the tournament and won comfortably in straight sets 6-3, 6-3. The match was over in 75 minutes and it was very disappointing to see Federer lose.

Having a photograph with Djokovic

Federer in his post match interview admitted that he had made a mess of it in the final and Djokovic deserved to win. Federer left the court early after losing and taking a photograph was not possible. My disappointment turned into joy as I was able to get a photograph with the champion Novak Djokovic. The photograph was taken by a professional photographer and it really made my staying till the end worth it.

Unforgettable experience

It was a phenomenal experience for me to go to the Dubai tennis championships. I was able to see Federer live for the first time right in front of my eyes. The seats which me and my father got were right by the court side, since I was on a wheelchair. Watching tennis in front of your eyes is totally different from watching it on television. You are totally involved in the matches and very much a part of the atmosphere. For instance there was a Mexican wave going in the crowd in the final of which I was involved in also. You can never experience these things on television. Watching the Dubai Tennis Championships made my visit to Dubai an unforgettable one and I am already looking forward to next year’s Dubai tennis championships.

No comments: