Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Challenges for the Physically Challenged








Living in Pakistan can be quite a test for physically challenged people in wheelchairs. The reason is that Pakistan is not wheelchair friendly at all; there are no ramps or lifts available in most public places, bathrooms are not adapted and transport is not easily available either.

Living up to and facing the Challenges

As Pakistan is my home I have gotten used to facing all types of challenges but at times it can be very frustrating and annoying. I have become a motivational speaker and visit various schools, universities and corporate offices to give lectures. I can tell you from first-hand experiences that getting to these venues is no easy task! I recall going to one of the leading business schools of Karachi to deliver a lecture. On arriving there I found out that there was no ramp or lift available. My lecture was on the 2nd floor and my chair had to be lifted by helpers. To say the least, this was not an enjoyable experience for me. During my lecture I made sure to emphasize the point that the building was not wheelchair friendly. Now, I always find out beforehand if the building where I will be giving my lecture is wheelchair friendly.

Restaurants should be more accessible to wheelchair users

Similarly I face problems when going to restaurants that have stairs and do not cater for physically challenged people. My chair has to be lifted at such restaurants, which is quite a nerve wrecking experience. Once I remember being invited for dinner at a restaurant which was in a basement. As there was no lift, I refused to go there. Similarly, it was impossible for me to go to a leading café in Karachi because of the non availability of a lift and I missed out on all the fun. Most leading cinemas of Karachi are also not accessible for the physically challenged. It requires great effort and determination for people in wheelchairs to go anywhere. We can also not rule out the risk of injury when a wheelchair is being lifted or carried.

Could this be one of the main reasons why we do not see people with disabilities in public places?

Why is our society so ignorant about the problems faced by disabled people

One important thing which I forbgot to mentiyon is the lack of toilets for the disabled in public places. Even in the leading hotels in Karachi we do not find a wheelchair friendly toilet which causes a lot of discomfort for me. I am lucky to own a car and have helpers with me to take me to all kinds of places. What about disabled people who don’t have this help?

In addition, I have noticed that people tend to stare at a person in a wheelchair when he goes out in public. This makes the person in the wheelchair feel very unwelcome as if he is not a part of society.

On the other hand when I travel to England it is totally wheelchair friendly and I do not have to think about this problem at all. Their public transport, including buses and taxis, have ramps thus making it easy for the physically challenged people to travel. I can go on and on to highlight the various advantages as shops, cinemas and restaurants all cater fully for people with all types of disabilities.
I feel that the main difference between England and Pakistan is the attitude of the people and the way they think about physically challenged people and how they show their feelings. People in England appear to be very caring and more humane in every way. In Pakistan, like I wrote earlier, people tend to stare at you.

On the other hand, I do feel that people have started to understand the rights of the disabled society of Pakistan. Recently Pakistan has signed the UN Convention for protecting the rights of the disabled society . I do believe that is a step in the right direction.

Equal opportunities must be provided to disabled people

There are many organizations working for the rights of disabled people. The media has also played a very important role by giving coverage to disabled people including my interview on various television channels. It is a very important step to highlight the point of view of people with disabilities. Through such efforts we can hope to follow in the footsteps of a country like England and make Pakistan a wheelchair friendly country where physically challenged people have the same opportunities as those without wheel chairs.

” In the midst of winter, I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer".

No comments: