Tuesday, December 8, 2009

England- wheelchair friendly country













England for me is like a second home as I go there every year for my annual medical checkup. I am familiar with all the famous shops and sight seeing sites in London. I love going there and the main reason for my liking is England being so wheelchair friendly and catering to all types of disabilities.

What a contrast to Pakistan

I remember going to England in 2007 after a gap of about 10 years and there being a feeling of apprehension. The reason being that it was the first time I was going to England, since being transferred in a wheelchair. There were numerous things running through my mind as to how I would survive over there and would I be able to enjoy there. These thoughts were quickly banished from my mind once I arrived in London and saw all their facilities. It was such a refreshing change from back home where the facilities leave a lot to be desired.

Arriving at Heathrow Airport was the beginning of how much England catered to the physically challenged people. They had a separate walk away space for the people in a wheelchair to come down from the terminal. Having one look at the city of London made me realize that I was in for a great time and all my apprehensions were laid to rest.

London like I said is totally wheelchair friendly and you find a number of physically challenged people on the streets, in restaurants or at cinemas. I remember going to watch a movie in London and being taken through a special entrance which had no stairs. It is the amount of concern and interest they show in protecting the rights of disabled people. These are the things which make me look forward to visiting England every year.

Everything made so comforting in England

The one thing which stands out above all is their public transport. Almost all their buses have got rams at their entrance and traveling in a bus is such a joy. I have the good fortune of my father knowing a taxi driver for a long time and he is such a great guy. In his taxi he has got a ram which makes it so easy for me to come into the taxi. I have really become friendly with him and he is so caring. Last year I and my friend went sightseeing all over London in his taxi. One of the highlights of my visit this year was going to Wimbledon with him. We took a tour of Wimbledon with an official. During this tour we were shown the various courts of Wimbledon, the famous Henman hill and the media room. During our last stop which was at the centre court, the official told us that it was only because of me being in a wheelchair were we allowed to come to the centre court. We were right at the centre court and it was such a special feeling. The place to sit for the disabled during the matches was right behind the centre court and the view was spectacular. At that moment I could not help but feeling privileged and how much the people at Wimbledon cared for the physically challenged people. Even all the officials at the Wimbledon shop and the museum were so friendly and went out of their way to do things for me.
It is such a blessing and an advantage to know that Brian (the taxi driver) will be there in London whenever I visit to show me around.

People going out of their way to do things

I went to various other places including Madame Tussads and various shops including HMV, Nike Town and Marks and Spencer. Everywhere I found out that the people were extremely caring and friendly towards me. All the shops in London had lifts which made it accessible to go to the upper floors without a problem. I remember going to HMV and I had to get a cd from the second floor. An official of HMV came up to me and offered to go up and get the compact disc for me. This really made me feel so happy and welcome at HMV and wanting to go there again and again.

Exotic parks

Now I will come to the parks in London, which are so exotic and breath taking. The two most famous parks are Hyde Park and Regent’s Park. Any type of person for instance physically challenged or with any other disability can go for a walk there and soak the beautiful atmosphere in. The view is so beautiful and scenic and you can easily spend a few hours there. There is so much peace and tranquility over there. I remember going with my dad to Kensington Gardens and spending a few hours over there. One could see so many physically challenged people enjoy themselves there. That is another advantage of living in England and having so many different parks for physically challenged people to go and enjoy life.

Caring attitude of the people

I feel that the reason for England being so wheelchair friendly lies in the attitude of the people towards physically challenged people In England we see people very helpful towards a person in a wheelchair. I would like give my own example where I was going with my parents and suddenly after hitting a gutter, I almost fell from my chair. At that point a man dressed in a suit helped me in my chair. The point I am trying to make is that people over there are very caring and more humane in every way. The people there consider the disabled community to be a important part of the society. It is a rule to have at least one person with a disability working in the office as to test what he is capable of doing and achieving.

I would say that the bottom line here lies in what the mind set of a person is. One cannot even think of constructing a building in England or Europe for that matter without it being accessible to the physically challenged. As England is wheelchair friendly as I explained, it will always remain my favorite vacation place and I will look forward to going there every year.

No comments: