Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Hala: A dear friend and my best physio






Besides swimming I also used to go to the gym. The gym contained a variety of exercise’s including weights, cycling, push ups and rowing. I used to enjoy going to the gym and made a number of good friends over there. There was a girl who used to be the trainer at the gym by the name of Hala and she would go on to become a very close friend and would assist me a lot in my struggle for getting fit.

My introduction to Hala

It all started at the gym where she would help me with a number of exercises and would show me how to do them. She introduced me to the recumbent bike and asked me to use it regularly with the help of other attendees. The bike helped me to lose a lot of weight as well as making my legs stronger. I was doing other exercises as well told by Hala which included using weights, abdominal push ups and holding the bar for my back. My progress was going well and Hala was happy with it.

One evening while I was at the gym Hala suggested that she can do physiotherapy with me at my house. Hala was a certified physiotherapist from the States. She clearly could see that I required physiotherapy for ataxia which I had and it would go a long way in helping me. I was very excited and thrilled about the idea of Hala coming over for physiotherapy.

Before Hala I did have a local physiotherapist who tried his best and also helped me to walk using the parallel bars which I had at home. Clearly he was no match for Hala. I did physiotherapy with Hala for over a year and it was excellent. We used to do different types of exercises including ball work, lying down exercises, hand movements, neck exercises and also some yoga poses.

Later on we also did walking using the parallel bars but Hala told me that my legs were not strong enough to walk and required further strengthening. She believed we needed to do pool therapy also, where I would be doing various exercises in the pool including swimming. Hala would stand by the pool and monitor my workout.

By coming for physiotherapy to my house Hala and I became very good friends. We used to go for lunch, meet at parties and I would call her at my birthday party as well as at dance balls at Sindh Club. I remember at a birthday party at the club, I made a speech in which I thanked Hala for her tremendous help and effort.

It indeed was one of the most enjoyable and memorable time for me when I used to be with Hala.. She would always used to take special care of me when we used to go for lunch or at a late night dance party at the club. Hala was extremely popular at the gym in Sindh Club and had a lot of friends outside the club.

I used to go to the gym after having physiotherapy in the morning and it was quite tiring. I would say that while doing my exercises with Hala my fitness was at an all time high. My body would be in perfect shape which would really have a positive impact on me and make me very motivated.
Being with Hala always used to make me very happy and I will admit having a crush on her. She told me that she would be leaving for the States along with her parents. It indeed was sad to see her leave, although she did leave me a physiotherapist who was obviously not good as her.

The Club also had a farewell dinner for her where I was invited also. It was very enjoyable and a few of my gym friends were also there. Hala had promised to do meditation with me and a couple of days before leaving she did that with me. It was so relaxing and I really enjoyed it.

I had promised to take her for lunch before she left which we went after meditation. I had also got to know one of Hala’s very close friends known as Faroukh, who went to become a very good friend of mine once Hala had left. The time I spent with Hala was definitely one of the highlights in my life so far.

No comments: