Tuesday, January 12, 2010

My early Days Part 2




What a contrast

Karachi Grammar School was indeed a far cry from the beautiful and picturesque Aitchison College. For me it was a ugly piece of structure situated in the middle of the city. For me it was my second visit at Grammar School as I had also gone to nursery here before leaving for Lahore. My oldest and best friend was Karim who was with me throughout Grammar School. I really enjoyed his company and he was the one to introduce me to other students. The level of studies was higher than what it was at Aitchison particularly English. After having changed schools frequently, it was natural for me taking time to get used to the standard of studies and the environment. As far as sports were concerned it was a rude shock for me and would be an insult if compared to Aitchison. There was just one ground full of dust which was used for sports. What a contrast.

Wearing a Brace for my Back

By that time in Grammar, I was beginning to have back pain and there was a curve in my back. I used to go to England for my check up and I was told by the doctor there that I would be needing surgery for my back. On the day I was to have the surgery, the doctor changed his mind and cancelled the surgery. He said that the surgery was too risky and one patient had lost his life during surgery. It came as a surprise to me, as I was all ready for the surgery. Having been in the hospital for 4 to 5 days, I was finally discharged and was told I would have to wear a brace for my back . The brace would prevent the curve I had from getting worse. The brace was made in England and I had to give my body measurements. I was told I would have to wear it for majority of the day and would be able to take it off while sleeping which was a relief.

Getting used to the Brace

I noticed that with the passage of time and towards the end I used to wear the brace while going to school and took me some time to get used to it. It obviously meant that I would not be able to play outdoor sports anymore, as running around with the brace on was not an option for me. It indeed was very frustrating for me to see other students play sports. It did take me some time to get over it and my ambition of becoming a sportsman was shattered. Managing at the school with my brace on was not easy to do and it did require a lot of understanding from the other students. Going up the stairs was a big hurdle for me with the brace on and overcoming it felt like as I had achieved something. I went on to wear the brace for 3 to 4 years and slowly got used to it wearing it at school. It greatly helped my curve in the back from deteriorating but what was to follow was something totally unexpected.

Towards the end of my school days, I was beginning to have problems walking. It was getting increasingly difficult for me to keep my balance. My parents got worried and decided to take me to England to show the doctors. After examining me I was diagnosed with having a disease known as Friedrich’s Ataxia. It was a very rare disease in Pakistan. How was I going to survive in Pakistan on a wheelchair?

No comments: