Tuesday, January 12, 2010

My early Days Part 1




Childhood

My childhood was very enjoyable and I had a lot of fun. Being the only child of my parents meant that all the attention was on me, which had it’s advantages as well as disadvantages. Before my schooling began I remember we spent time in Rawalpindi. We had a house there and I remember having a dog there. From the beginning I loved having dogs and I would say, my interest in dogs came from my father, uncle and grandfather. They all loved keeping dogs. All my family used to go for trips to Muree quite regularly and have a great time there.

I remember beginning my schooling in England and going there for around 6 months before coming back to Pakistan. I went to Karachi Grammar School on my return and it was considered very difficult to get admission there. I was beginning to like it and get settled, when I got to know that we including my parents had to move to Lahore. I did not know at that time that my time spent in Lahore would turn out to be the most memorable time of my childhood.

Time spent at Aitchison College

First of all I had the opportunity of going to one of the top schools in the country called Aitchison College. My love for sports began at Aitchison, as it without a doubt had the best sporting facilities in the country. The picturesque cricket, football and hockey grounds were a treat for the eyes. I too immensely enjoyed playing all sports including tennis, table tennis and swimming. I vividly remember the days when I used to play cricket and tennis at Aitchison. My recent visit to Lahore and going back to Aitchison for giving a motivational talk certainly brought back all the good old memories. It was a very nostalgic and special occasion for me. As I stood to speak to more than 500 kids out there, I could recall the time when I was a student there. It is hard to describe how I felt when I got a standing ovation after I had completed my talk. All I can say is that it was my most memorable talk yet. Aitchison without a doubt is the most beautiful college in the country and I consider myself fortunate enough to have studied at Aitchison.

Living with my Grandparents in Lahore

Spending time with my grandparents who used to live in Lahore was another reason for my having so much fun in Lahore. I remember my grandparents having a big house in Lahore and I used to go regularly to spend nights at their house. My cousins who were also in Lahore, would also come over and we would have a great time together. I remember playing a lot of cricket in Lahore at my house with my cousins, friends and helpers. Cycling was also something I used to enjoy a lot and the freedom I used to get from riding it was exceptional. I also remember once during cycling my eye got injured and got a black hole around it. Everyone at home really got worried, telling me not to cycle again, which I could not do as cycling had become my first love. wLike I said I always loved keeping dogs and during my stay in Lahore, I had a dog by the name of Timmy. I used to take him for walks, take him for a ride in the car and he always used to sleep in my room. I became very close to him and could not think of living without him. All these pleasures and various interests in life made my stay in Lahore such a memorable stay. Above all Lahore was so green, picturesque and scenic. Sight seeing was a must there with so many historic sites located there. Time just flew and before long I knew it was time to head back to Karachi.

Lahore is my hometown and will always remain in my heart. I always try to visit Lahore once a year and it always relives my past memories. Coming to Karachi which was completely different compared to Lahore with it’s fast paced life and people always on the go. In Lahore you will find people very laid back and warm. People always taking time out to meet you where as it is quite the opposite in Karachi. It did take me a while to get used to the life style in Karachi.


No comments: